We will investigate the toxicity of real-world complete ambient air in human lung bronchi and olfactory mucosa (a proxy to brain effects) tissues from healthy and diseased donors (asthma, Alzheimer´s disease). The cells will be grown at the air-liquid interface (ALI = cells are grown on a membrane with their basal surfaces in contact with media, and the top of the cellular layer is exposed to the air) in our exposure system in the field conditions of localities differing in air pollution levels.
- Direct exposure to a complete mixture of ambient air pollutants
- Models consisting of combinations of relevant cell types grown at the air-liquid interface
- No monocultures/monocellular cultures
- No animal testing
- No particulate matter separated from the ambient air using filters
- No organic or water-based extracts from particulate matter
Reference numbers are mentioned in square brackets in the text. A list of references can be found at the bottom of the page.